Thursday, April 4, 2013

5$ Sewing Machine Table

An old $5 dollar garage sale find can be easily transformed with some good white paint and a little hard work.






 


Materials:
  • Hand-held power sander
  • Small sponge paint roller and tray
  • Paint primer
  • Paint
  • Medium sized paint brush
  • Screwdriver
  • TSP


 


 
1. Find an inexpensive piece of furniture that is in decent condition(no holes or missing pieces). I found this at a garage sale for $5.00.  
 
2. Remove hardware from drawers with screwdriver and remove drawers from the desk.
 
3. With a handheld electric sander, sand of the first layer of the furiture, this desk had a waxy overcoat. Sometimes if the wood is clean enough, you can skip this step but I always like to sand to make sure the surface is smooth.
 
4. Dust off the desk, if you want to get really clean wash it down with TSP.
 
5. After it is completey dry and free of dust, apply a primer. I like to apply primer to anything that I am painting white.
 
6. After one coat of primer, let the desk dry overnight. I like to let each layer of paint dry completely to avoid the tackiness.
 
7. Choose a paint in a color and finish that you like. I relaly like plain base white in a satin finish for this project. This desk used two coats of paint. I rolled the paint on with a sponge roller and painted the edges with a smooth medium sized paint brush. Something like this will work.
 
8. After the desk is completely dry, attach the hardware and put th drawers back in. You can buy need drawer handles or pulls, but I ended up really appreciating the original handles on this desk so I kept them and reattached.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! This is so awesome and I can't wait to try your recipes and read more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete